...Well, about as normal as existentialism and overall absurdism will allow. Yes, I do admit that I've become slightly infatuated with the idea that there is no true or proper way to prove something exists. In fact...how do I even prove that I myself exist, for what is existence? Is it what we perceive to be our experiences, interactions, reactions, actions based on the perceptions of others? Or is it just what chemical reactions go on within our brain to create an illusion of reality for our "soul", or state of being? However, if I cannot prove I exist within scientific, religious, or just common sense boundaries, then do I really not exist? Is there really no point to all of life, it's just one big happy clan of coincidences rolled into a giant mess we call life? To an existentialist, this idea that our lives and existence cannot truely be proven, and that we will not be able to fully understand someone else's view of the world for even if we experience the exact same event, two different conclusions will be drawn based on personal experiences alone, is the basis for their philosophy, their beliefs (if they do actually believe in it and not just use it in their writing), their general grounds for which they will argue their point.
Still, I digress. As this is meant to be a regular post, I might as well talk about what is going on in my life so all TWO of my followers will get further insight into my mind! Yay insight!
Well, this week was pretty chill for me. I got to miss two days of school, make-up work was pretty much just a few worksheets, and there were auditions for the play. Now, since I hope that more people will eventually read this, I want to explain how auditions at Rockville High work. They go sort of like this:
- We all memorize/practice to death our monologues.
- Rinse and repeat. (Note: This process may be carried out on stage during auditions.)
- Perform and strike fear, or whatever emotion compels you, into the hearts of the director and the audience! (Does not work for directors with heart conditions or easily frightened audiences.)
- Finally, watch callbacks, go home, and have a friend call you the second the cast list is put up for all to see (and cry over).
For example: Mis amigos han actuado en dos expectaculos con al otro. They always get cast opposite each other for the "romantic" interest in the show. It's good, they have great stage chemistry, and both can act with good volume, and yet, the attitude of one of my friends just pissed me off on Thursday (audition day).
On this day, after auditions, she kept complaining to me that she wouldn't get the lead female role even when it was obvious that she was getting it. I told her the truth that she might not get it, but even she knew that was not completely true. Mr. B is a stickler for precasting and because the lead male role was cast as his favorite to play opposite of my other friend, she got the role. Not that I'm saying she can't act! She has the volume needed for acting, the tone, the pitch, the motions, not to mention that she's just a dramatic person, it's in her nature.
The thing that really got me was that she called me at 10:30 PM, I pick up the phone, and suddenly I'm bombarded with "Oh my gosh, you totally lied to me!"
I had no fucking idea what she was talking about, but then I remembered the cast list was put up.
Picture this. You are an optomistic person, sometimes life can get you down, but you hope to see the bright side of things in the end. Eventually, one of the only things that ever makes you depressed happens, this now ending up benefiting a friend. If that weren't enough, this friend brings up this fact at least once a day, plus all of the great things that are happening to them.
Now you all have some idea of my mindset at this point: I was sort of down already and now I find that not only has my friend gotten a role she will use to rub in my face, nope, that would be too easy, I also find that I got one of the most insignificant roles in the whole play. Like always.
Apparently I suck at acting, that or Mr. B will not want to cast me in a solid lead anytime soon.
Do not think of me as biased, I see both sides (I was given a small role for my acting v. my status in the group) well and will not choose a specific one. Still, I can't help but lean towards the fact that my acting is crap, even when it is so blatently obvious that Mr. B precasts his shows.
Alas, I don't really care anymore. I'm in the show, and I'm set. I might even start working at a community theatre on tech crew!
The rest of school was averagely mundane, so I won't make any note of it here except...TRIPPING DOWN STAIRS IS FUN.
~[-]~[-]~[-]~[-]~
WOAH! Look at all of this...I think that that's about all that really happened to me that I'm willing to share with you guys, fear not though, I shall return in a little under 48 hours to post yet again!
Until next time. (same bat-time...same bat-channel.)


You mean tripping UP the stairs Natalie. XD
ReplyDeleteAnd reading your posts fuel my brain.
Even with all this doubt, being optimistic is the better way to go for me. And I think you're an amazing actor. c: